Friday, March 27, 2015

GSoC Astropy proposal submitted!

Welcome to my blog for Google Summer of Code 2015!

I am a PhD candidate in Astronomy with plans to pursue a career in data science. The hacking has always been my favorite part of the research process. Although I’m adept at scientific hacking, this means that the science result is the end-product regardless of the quality or final state of the code written to get there. This is why the GSoC opportunity appeals to me!

The GSoC will allow me to grow as a true developer while contributing to the Astropy project, a Python package widely used and highly valued among astronomers for data analysis. I've proposed to develop fast model rasterization methods for Astropy as well as a web app based on JS9 to demo the new capabilities (see my full project proposal here). This meshes well with my research, and it will be fun to incorporate my own data into the testing and demos. If selected, I will be blogging weekly updates on the project.


xx fingers crossed xx


No comments:

Post a Comment